About the Rancho Mirage Architectural & Celebrity Tour
While Palm Springs gets much of the spotlight when it comes to architectural marvels and celebrity homes, Rancho Mirage has nearly as much prestige! While some stars flocked to the busy Palm Springs hotspots, Rancho was more of a place where the biggest stars could fly under the radar and unbothered. And that’s great for us; it means fewer tall walls and hidden homes; many stars and the rich & famous were so comfortable out in Rancho Mirage, they didn’t bother to put up huge walls for privacy, making the homes on this tour extremely accessible. Take in outstanding examples of modernist architecture, marvel at the mid-century designs, and see some of the celebrity homes that are on display.
- 12 stops
- Estimated Tour Duration: approximately 75-120 minutes
- See the architectural beauty of Rancho Mirage up close
- Explore the most important buildings in Rancho Mirage including those in the central core of the city and nearby historic neighborhoods
- Delve into the heart of mid-century Rancho Mirage with visits to some of the best known architectural marvels. Stops include the most iconic buildings in Rancho Mirage including the Kenaston Residence, Groucho Marx’ home and the iconic (and nearly lost!) Wave House nearby
- Learn how these home and buildings came to be so important—and how Rancho Mirage went from desert farmyard to celebrity playground
- Navigate iconic neighborhoods like Tamarisk Ranchos and Thunderbird
- See and learn the details and storied (or sordid!) histories of iconic homes —and the celebrity scandals that followed.
What to Know Before You Go
You will need your own vehicle for this self-driving tour (car, van, etc). This tour is approximately a 17 mile loop around Rancho Mirage and is geared towards those in an automobile; if you’re fit and want to try it on a bike, we salute you! This tour features an audio tour guide with interactive real-time mapping and directions that guide you from stop to stop, plus many photos of interiors and exteriors, so you’re fully able to appreciate Rancho Mirage modernism—at your own pace.
In some cases you will see the home facades and outdoor spaces, in others, we will get you as close as possible to private, gated or other spaces. We are unable to grant access to gated communities, and some homes are off limits, but we want you to enjoy great spaces and great stories.
All of our audio tours are self-guided and self-driving, so you can see things quickly, or speed up.
This Tour Includes
- Guided driving tour
- Detailed directions to some of the most interesting architecture in Rancho Mirage
- Integrated Google maps to help you get around
- Enjoy clear voice narration from your guide
- Factual and fascinating information about mid-century architecture & celebrity residents
- Original interior and exterior photographs of amazing homes & buildings
- *We will get you as close as possible to private homes, gated areas or other spaces for the best views, however we are unable to grant access to gated communities or private property.
Health & Safety
We take the health and safety of our guests and all Palm Springs residents seriously. We have set a series of standards that we hope you’ll welcome in the spirit of ensuring everybody is safe and comfortable and can courteously enjoy the lifestyle of the desert together.
Our tours happen in your own vehicle, so you are guaranteed to know the safety and cleanliness once you get inside, as well as the health of any friends or family you choose to invite along.
- Please wash your hands and/or use hand sanitizer before entering and after leaving any businesses
- Maintain physical distancing and keep 6 feet / 2 meters between yourself and other people.
- Be friendly and kind but please do not trespass or bother the homeowners.
- Be sure to drink plenty of water. Desert heat can sneak up on you. While fainting was cool back in old Hollywood, it’s not today, so stay safe!