Modernism Top 10 Tour
Estimated Tour Duration
75 to 90 minutes
About This Tour
Why Take this tour
See the best of the best of Palm Springs’ modern architectural attractions. These are the buildings everyone talks about and posts on their Instagram feeds, and the ones you’ll want to get to know if you appreciate modernism, architecture and that unique Palm Springs style. Enjoy fascinating stories, learn local legends and finally check ‘see the most iconic buildings in modernism’ off your vacay list.
- 10 stops
- Estimated Tour Duration: approximately 60-90 minutes
- Reflect on the architectural beauty of the city from up close
- Explore the most important buildings in Palm Springs including those in the central core of the city and nearby historic neighborhoods
- Delve into the heart of mid-century Palm Springs with visits to some of the best known architectural marvels.
- Learn how these home and buildings came to be so iconic—and why Palm Springs wasn’t always the playground it is today.
- Navigate iconic neighborhoods like Vista las Palmas, Old Las Palmas and Deepwell Estates
- See and learn the details and storied (or sordid!) histories of iconic homes including Edris House and Kaufmann House—and many more.
Health & Safety Standards
We take the health and safety of our guests and all Palm Springs residents seriously. We have set a series of standards that we hope you’ll welcome in the spirit of ensuring everybody is safe and comfortable and can courteously enjoy the lifestyle of the desert together.
Our tours happen in your own vehicle, so you are guaranteed to know the safety and cleanliness once you get inside, as well as the health of any friends or family you choose to invite along.
- Please wash your hands and/or use hand sanitizer before entering and after leaving any businesses
- Maintain physical distancing and keep 6 feet / 2 meters between yourself and other people.
- Be friendly and kind but please do not trespass or bother the homeowners.
- Be sure to drink plenty of water. Desert heat can sneak up on you. While fainting was cool back in old Hollywood, it’s not today, so stay safe!
- Guided driving tour
- Detailed directions to some of the most interesting architecture in Palm Springs
- Integrated Google maps to help you get around
- Enjoy clear voice narration from your guide
- Factual and fascinating information about mid-century architecture
- Original photographs of iconic buildings
What to know before you go
You will need your own vehicle for this self-driving tour (car, van, or bicycle, unicycle, skateboard). This tour features an audio tour guide with interactive real-time mapping and directions that guide you from stop to stop, plus many photos of interiors and exteriors, so you’re fully able to appreciate Palm Springs modernism—at your own pace.
All of our audio tours are self-guided and self driving, so you can see things quickly, or speed up.
Alternate Tour recommendations
Are you already familiar with Palm Springs, or looking for a tour that takes you to places that are a bit less common? Consider our Modern Homes & Buildings – Architecture 101 Tour.
What’s the difference between Modern Homes & Buildings 101 and the Top 10 tour?
The Top 10 Tour will take you to see the most iconic homes and buildings in Palm Springs; the ones the locals would list for you or that might show up in a Google search, buy you’ll learn far more about them than you ever could from the internet! This 10-stop tour is easy to do in a couple of hours.
Modern Homes & Buildings 101 focuses on less well known (but still famous and important) buildings, but also delves deeper into modernism and the principals and traits of modern architecture, how it’s identified and how you can recognize it. This tour is moderately longer than the Top 10, and a great value for those who want to see the most modernism in just a few hours.
All of our audio tours are self-guided, which means you can set the pace yourself. We invite you to pause the tour whenever you want to stop and take a look around at the beauty that surrounds you.