About the Modernism Top 10 Tour
See the best of the best of Palm Springs’ modern architectural attractions. These are the buildings everyone talks about and posts on their Instagram feeds, and the ones you’ll want to get to know if you appreciate modernism, architecture and that unique Palm Springs style. Enjoy fascinating stories, learn local legends and finally check ‘see the most iconic buildings in modernism’ off your vacay list.
- 10 stops
- Estimated Tour Duration: approximately 60-90 minutes
- Reflect on the architectural beauty of the city from up close
- Explore the most important buildings in Palm Springs including those in the central core of the city and nearby historic neighborhoods
- Delve into the heart of mid-century Palm Springs with visits to some of the best known architectural marvels. Stops include the most iconic buildings in Palm Springs including Edris House and Kauffman House
- Learn how these home and buildings came to be so iconic—and why Palm Springs wasn’t always the playground it is today.
- Navigate iconic neighborhoods like Vista las Palmas, Old Las Palmas and Deepwell Estates
- See and learn the details and storied (or sordid!) histories of iconic homes including Edris House and Kaufmann House—and many more.
What to Know Before You Go
You will need your own vehicle for this self-driving tour (car, van, or bicycle, unicycle, skateboard). This tour features an audio tour guide with interactive real-time mapping and directions that guide you from stop to stop, plus many photos of interiors and exteriors, so you’re fully able to appreciate Palm Springs modernism—at your own pace.
In some cases you will see the home facades and outdoor spaces, in others, we will get you as close as possible to private, gated or other spaces. We are unable to grant access to gated communities, and some homes are off limits, but we want you to enjoy great spaces and great stories.
All of our audio tours are self-guided and self-driving, so you can see things quickly, or speed up.
This Tour Includes
- Guided driving tour
- Detailed directions to some of the most interesting architecture in Palm Springs
- Integrated Google maps to help you get around
- Enjoy clear voice narration from your guide
- Factual and fascinating information about mid-century architecture
- Original photographs of iconic buildings
Health & Safety
We take the health and safety of our guests and all Palm Springs residents seriously. We have set a series of standards that we hope you’ll welcome in the spirit of ensuring everybody is safe and comfortable and can courteously enjoy the lifestyle of the desert together.
- Please be safe while cycling or driving.
- In your car, obey all traffic laws.
- On a bike, use recommended safety gear.
- Don't drive or cycle while distracted; use your phone only while stopped.
- Please do not trespass or bother the homeowners.
- Be sure to drink plenty of water. Desert heat can sneak up on you. While fainting was cool back in old Hollywood, it’s not today, so stay safe!