Modernism Mega Tour
About the Modernism Mega Tour
This is the tour for those looking to go in-depth on Palm Springs architecture and modernism—and the best value tour in the city. A combination of our Top 10 Tour and the Modern Homes & Buildings 101 Tour, the Mega Tour boasts nearly double the number of tour stops than a regular tour, for 2-3 hours of enjoyment. You’ll learn about modernism and modern architecture though some of the most important and iconic examples of homes and public buildings. We packed this tour with ALL the best homes, buildings and architectural sights to see in palm Springs so you don’t need to choose one tour over another.
- 21 stops—2 tours in one!
- Estimated Tour Duration: approximately 2 -3 hours
- Enjoy this tour all at once, or split it into morning and afternoon or even take it over a couple of days; you’re in the driver’s seat!
- Explore some of the most iconic buildings in Palm Springs
- Get to know hidden gems in the heart of mid-century Palm Springs with visits to some stunning homes & buildings.
- See the Top 10 most iconic buildings & home
- Stops include the most important and well-known buildings in Palm Springs including Edris House and Kaufmann House, a Hollywood mega-star home and even an iconic family home that may be cursed!
- See stunning converted banks and find out where the architects’ inspiration came from
- Marvel at quirky Tiki architecture
- Navigate iconic neighborhoods like Vista las Palmas, Old Las Palmas and Deepwell Estates, and you’ll see plenty of other amazing homes and architecture as you travel through these areas. Have your camera ready!
- Reflect on the architectural beauty of the city from up close
- Explore buildings many visitors and even some locals don’t know about in Palm Springs
- Learn how these homes and buildings came to be so important—and why Palm Springs wasn’t always the modern architectural and celebrity playground it is today.
What to Know Before You Go
You will need your own vehicle for this self-driving tour (car, van, or bicycle, unicycle, skateboard). This tour features an audio tour guide with interactive real-time mapping and directions that guide you from stop to stop, plus many photos of interiors and exteriors, so you’re fully able to appreciate Palm Springs architecture & modernism—at your own pace.
In some cases you will see the home facades and outdoor spaces, in others, we will get you as close as possible to private, gated or other spaces. We are unable to grant access to gated communities, and some homes are off limits, but we want you to enjoy great spaces and great stories. (Please note that some public buildings including hotels may be temporarily barring visitors from entry due to COVID-19)
All of our audio tours are self-guided and self-driving, so you can see things quickly, or slow it down and really savor the views.
This Tour Includes
- Guided driving tour—at your pace and when you want to depart!
- Detailed directions to some of the most interesting & important architecture in Palm Springs
- Integrated Google maps to help you get around
- Enjoy clear voice narration from your expert guide
- Factual and fascinating information about mid-century architecture
- Original photographs of iconic buildings
- *We will get you as close as possible to private homes, gated areas or other spaces for the best views, however we are unable to grant access to gated communities or private property. (Please note that some public buildings including hotels may be temporarily barring visitors from entry due to COVID-19)
Health & Safety
We take the health and safety of our guests and all Palm Springs residents seriously. We have set a series of standards that we hope you’ll welcome in the spirit of ensuring everybody is safe and comfortable and can courteously enjoy the lifestyle of the desert together.
- Please be safe while cycling or driving.
- In your car, obey all traffic laws.
- On a bike, use recommended safety gear.
- Don't drive or cycle while distracted; use your phone only while stopped.
- Please do not trespass or bother the homeowners.
- Be sure to drink plenty of water. Desert heat can sneak up on you. While fainting was cool back in old Hollywood, it’s not today, so stay safe!