About the Palm Canyon Walking Tour
Many of us hit the main street of a new city and pop in and out of shops, bars and restaurants without ever looking behind the storefronts. While Palm Canyon Drive is a bustling commercial area, it also boasts gorgeous architecture, fascinating stories and in some cases, surprising history. This tour is ideal for those visiting Palm Springs for the first time, but it’s also wonderful for repeat visitors who’d like to learn a bit more about the city.
- 13 stops
- Estimated Tour Duration: approximately 90 minutes – 120. minutes; including an optional stop in the Uptown Design District
- Explore Palm Springs’ downtown core and learn things you never knew about these buildings
- Find out which downtown buildings have almost been lost to demolition—and which are still in danger
- See the oldest modernist building in Palm Springs
- See homes that predate the mid-century modern era
- Learn about ‘financial row’ and see what’s become of some of the most iconic commercial buildings in Palm Springs
- Explore the stories behind the storefronts
- See modernist, Spanish-style and nearly century-old architecture
What to Know Before You Go
This tour is designed as a walking tour, as it takes place over approximately 1 mile, and several of the stops are a short 1-2 minute walk between them. The ground is flat and paved over most of the tour making it a very easy walk. The directions provided by Google Maps are walking directions, not driving directions, but it would be possible to adapt this tour using the addresses supplied, and use a car if you need to.
You can of course take the tour using a bicycle, unicycle, skateboard, wheelchair, scooter and more.
This tour features an audio tour guide with interactive real-time mapping and directions that guide you from stop to stop, plus many photos, so you’re fully able to appreciate Palm Springs architecture and history—at your own pace.
Alternate Tour recommendations
If you’d rather ride in air conditioned comfort, or aren’t in a position to walk too far, check out one of our driving tours.
Modern Homes & Buildings – Architecture 101 Tour is a popular 90-minute self-guided multimedia tour featuring plenty of famous iconic buildings and lots of hidden gems that capture the essence of desert modernism. We won’t hit on some of the more well known buildings on this tour; these are some of the lesser known, but architecturally important spots. If you want to see the best of the best of modernism in Palm Springs, Check out our Top 10 Iconic Buildings Tour
This Tour Includes
- Guided walking or cycling tour
- Detailed directions to some of the most interesting architecture in Palm Springs
- Integrated Google maps to help you get around
- Enjoy clear voice narration from your guide
- Factual and fascinating information about mid-century & desert architecture
- Original photographs of iconic buildings
Health & Safety
We take the health and safety of our guests and all Palm Springs residents seriously. We have set a series of standards that we hope you’ll welcome in the spirit of ensuring everybody is safe and comfortable and can courteously enjoy the lifestyle of the desert together.
Our tours happen in your own vehicle, so you are guaranteed to know the safety and cleanliness once you get inside, as well as the health of any friends or family you choose to invite along.
- Please wash your hands and/or use hand sanitizer before entering and after leaving any businesses
- Maintain physical distancing and keep 6 feet / 2 meters between yourself and other people.
- Be friendly and kind but please do not trespass or bother the homeowners.
- Be sure to drink plenty of water. Desert heat can sneak up on you. While fainting was cool back in old Hollywood, it’s not today, so stay safe!